Monday 22 February 2010

Day Six

I've had two bits of praise in the last couple of days about being off facebook. One text from a friend and then an email from a colleage giving me a list of websites to occupy myself with.

I actually feel really free without facebook. Not only am I getting on with things a lot quicker but I find myself spending more time doing work. If I get an A in my next assignment I think the lack of facebook will be praiseworthy.

The experience is going well though and it's not as hard as I thought it would be. Now and again I do think of something that would be a good facebook status, and I'm still worried that I'm a bit behind of events that may be taking place, but with all my close friends, any events or relationship changes I've heard about through word of mouth. How refreshingly original.

I thought there would be so much more to report, like I'm missing out on all this stuff that people have seen on facebook and are talking about, but I'm really not. Maybe facebook is just it's own reality. It's what Ludwig Wittgenstein calls a language game, you have to be in the game to understand it. If you're not in it then you don't understand, I guess I'm not in the game anymore...but I don't miss playing it at all.

x

2 comments:

  1. I love this whole experiment so much!! I've really been considering recently about giving up my facebook account! It gets in the way of so much stuff and just makes life move wayy too fast. We should be enjoying life and letting it unravel through time, not rush it via a social networking site which ultimatly just confuses things and wastes a lot of time!

    Don't know if I'd have the willpower to give it up though, I am pretty adicted to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I was pretty addicted but if you change your password then you'll be safe in the knowledge that you really can't go on it! x

    ReplyDelete